Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Lincoln turns 199, Lincolnstudies.com turns 1

Abraham Lincoln in the Snow

I planned on being in Springfield yesterday and today for the annual Lincoln Symposium at the Old State Capitol, but Mother Nature had other plans. Southern Illinois had enjoyed an exceptionally mild winter, but everything changed for us yesterday.

It started snowing about noon on Monday, but as the day progressed, the snow turned to freezing rain. I woke up this morning without power and spent the rest of the morning scraping a thick coat of ice off my car. The university is shut down, as is the majority of Carbondale.

Nonetheless, today is the big day!

It is Abraham Lincoln's 199th birthday and the countdown to the bicentennial has officially begun.

I am also pleased to announce that today is the 1-year anniversary of lincolnstudies.com! I want to thank all of you out there for reading the site, contributing to the Discussion Board, and for passing the word along to your friends. A big thank you to everyone who has sent me email messages throughout the year. Your kind messages have meant a great deal to me.

The year went by incredibly fast. I began this project without knowing anything about web design. I've enjoyed learning and thank you for your patience. I have a lot of new ideas for the coming year and will keep you updated on how they progress.

The front page blog at lincolnstudies.com featured 240 unique posts for the year. I hope the following year will be just as productive!

Thanks again.


No comments: